I’ve turned my “About Me” page into several shorter pages, arranged hierarchically:
- About Me
By the time I entered kindergarten, one doctor had used me as a sort of lab rat — without my parents’ knowledge — and another had fixed my left hip.
But I didn’t need replacement parts for nearly a half-century, so I’m a happy camper.
Several decades of undiagnosed major depression, and something on the autism spectrum, kept my life interesting.
But I suspect that my glitchy neurochemistry may be part of a tradeoff that gave me freakishly enhanced language skills, so I can’t complain. Not reasonably.
Assorted prescribed medications, including a powerful antidepressant, make it possible for me to think without fighting the machinery these days. That’s a wonderful change of pace.
I’m fascinated by three things, that which:
- Exists within the universe
- Exists beyond
- Might exist
Research and writing skills developed in an eclectic career — yet another topic — help me share what I’m learning about this wonder-filled universe and Catholic beliefs.
I became a Catholic as an adult, mostly because I insist that what I believe must make sense: no matter how I’m feeling at the moment.
I’ve written about my glitchy neurchemistry before, and probably will again:
- “Internet Friends, Real People” (March 19, 2017)
- “Elastic Brains and New Tech” (October 14, 2016)
- “Trusting Feelings: Within Reason” (October 5, 2016)
It’s certainly not the sort of “umbleness” Uriah Heep practiced. Which doesn’t bother me a bit.
I’ve talked humility and truthfulness before. Also how I see love, neighbors, and trying to act like I believe what I say:
- “Truth and Love” (May 5, 2017)
- “Conservative? Liberal? No: Catholic” (January 22, 2017)
- “Hating People: Not an Option” (November 15, 2016)
- “Humility isn’t Being Delusional” (July 31, 2016)
Technical issues in March of 2018 gave me a break from my ‘Friday and Sunday’ post schedule. I figured it would be a good time to do a few ‘back burner’ projects, including a book I’d been meaning to start:
- “May 5, 2018: Pre-Brillig Writing Progress” (May 5, 2018 )
- “Unscheduled Posts and Other Changes” (April 3, 2018)
- “In Conference, Out to Lunch, Gone Fishing, Whatever: I’m Taking a ‘Break’”
(March 26, 2018)
This blog shows how and why I follow Catholic beliefs and practices in America today. It also reflects my interest in science, history and my faith.